Derek Hayden is a Certified Risk Architect at Dansig Insurance Risk Advisors and winner of The Protege Reality Show. I believe Derek is the epitome of a “Human-Optimized” agent. This is a tremendous conversation with a tremendous independent agent. Don’t miss this episode…
Find your favorite way to subscribe to new episodes:
Or you can watch every episode on YouTube.
Just Do Something That is Different with Derek Hayden
In this episode of The Ryan Hanley Show, Ryan Hanley sits down with Derek Hayden.
Derek Hayden is a Certified Risk Architect at Dansig Insurance Risk Advisors and winner of The Protege Reality Show.
I believe Derek is the epitome of a “Human-Optimized” agent.
This is a tremendous conversation with a tremendous independent agent.
Don’t miss this episode…
- Derek discusses the hard market, and how they prepared for it. (7:13)
- Derek mentions that clients are scared to make the first move, but it is now getting to the point where they are willing to open the box and see what can be done. (13:19)
- Ryan mentions that one mistake they made was spreading their premium out too wide, and if he could do it again, he probably would take half the carrier appointments and just dial in writing business with those carriers. (22:27)
- Derek expresses frustration at the lack of give and take in the insurance industry and how carriers can just drop accounts after agents put in a lot of effort to make them less risky. (27:20)
- Derek shares his own experience of feeling like a mere pawn in the industry despite his 11 years of experience. (35:20)
- Derek shares that he uses video proposals for about 80% of his small commercial and personal lines proposals, and for larger accounts, he prefers to go in person. (42:03)
- Derek shares how he sets up his video proposal for his clients. (49:34)
- Derek suggests that smaller hometown insurance agents should develop a unique value proposition that can improve clients’ business or income, and take advantage of free tools offered by carrier reps to attract and retain accounts. (54:51)
- “On those key accounts, those bigger prospects, I do the video submission. I feel like that changes. It’s more like, they feel like more a part of the account versus just reading something on paper. They feel like they can see the building through video, see what we’re doing.” – Derek Hayden
- “All you got to do is develop a value proposition that’s unique compared to any other agent, whether it’s a captive or independent agent, develop a value proposition that you can consistently deliver, and follow through on.” – Derek Hayden
- Derek Hayden LinkedIn
- Dansig Insurance Risk Advisors
- Reach out to Ryan Hanley
- Rogue Risk
- Finding Peak
A PosiTivly Better Insurance Experience
Get an Affordable, Convenient and Simple Commercial Insurance Quote in Minutes!
If you enjoyed this episode, please click here to subscribe and never miss an episode of the podcast!
Yours in strength,
LISTEN NEXT: Carol Roth Answers “What F#$% is going on with the economy?”